ON THE GROUND
If you’ve ever been rolled on the street before you know how utterly soul-sucking it is. Here’s how to avoid pickpockets.
1. Carry your wallet in a front pocket, with the opening facing down.
2. Be alert in busy areas. Pickpockets target train stations, bus stops, crowded street corners and street performances.
3. Be wary of diversions: If someone tries to get your attention or brushes up against you, make sure your hand is on your wallet.
4. Turn backpacks into frontpacks.
5. Carry handbags across your body or under your arm, with the flap facing your body.
6. “Snatch-and-grabs” are considered violent crimes. Just let them have it.