ON THE GROUND
Save or Splurge?
Just like clothes-shopping, memorable travel experiences come with a high-low mix. Here’s how to save or splurge like a pro.
1. Stopover in Minnesota? Save at a discount hotel chain.
2. Stopover in L.A.? Splurge at a boutique hotel on the beach.
3. Spending a fortune on flights? Save on the hotel (or rent an apartment).
4. Quick business trip by yourself? Save with a web deal, then splurge on a nice meal or a massage.
5. Taking your parents? Splurge on Mom; play it by ear with Dad.
6. Taking the kids? Save as much as you can. (They won’t care.)
7. Backpacking for a week and dog tired? Splurge on the thread count.
8. Never likely visiting your destination ever again? Splurge on something memorable.