ON THE GROUND
Let’s face facts: There are times in your travels when things are going to go awry.
The trick is to be armed with these few simple tips on document safety.
1. Travel.gc.ca/travelling will help you find pre-travel information on countries you’re thinking of visiting, so you can nip problems in the bud.
2. Head to travel.gc.ca/assistance/embassies for a list of embassies and consulates that provide services to Canadians abroad, in case things are looking dire.
3. Visit ppt.gc.ca if you lose your passport. This site is also good for fraud alerts and information on identity theft.
4. Always travel with both electronic and paper copies of your complete travel insurance plan.
5. Keep jpgs of your passport and driver’s license, plus all medical info and insurance info, tucked away online on Google or Dropbox or some kind of cloud.
6. Always look on the bright side. There’s bound to be one somewhere.